Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Complications

Well a small scare yesterday.  I was changing pants for dinner plans... thought it would be nice not to wear the typical work-out clothing...and noticed my right quad was swollen.  Like, twice the size of the left.  

My sister-in-law happened to fly home with me from my first airline travel from Boston and was also concerned.  I had just finished an hour of therapy on the Locomat (one of the fancy machines where I am walking on a treadmill with technology).  The day prior I had done 2 hours of standing and electrical stimulation, that was also my first day back at PT.  I had taken a week off to fly to Boston for an American Alpine Club fancy gala/dinner and to visit my brother.  While I swam 2 of the days in Boston and had a great stretch session one day, I think I was a little more still.  Flying, as a paraplegic, does have potential to give us blood clots.  We aren't able to jiggle our legs, stand up, stretch em out.  Our artery's and veins also have potential to shrink, as we aren't moving our legs so blood flow is low through the anyway.
Thursday night, I went to the ER.  They ultra-sounded my leg.  I had a blood clot in my upper right thigh.  Perhaps from the flying.  
Today, Friday, I started a new tradition of taking blood thinners!  WOOT WOOT! :)  Bah, more drugs to take, more side-effects that are frustrating.  I took pride in being a healthy person who was body aware.  This injury is frustrating in that I can't feel, I don't know...and I have to pay attention even closer.  
The leg is still quite swollen, which stresses me out.... there isn't much room for it to grow bigger and I don't like the idea of permanent effects this may cause.  Like damage to my vein, causing a more chronic condition.  WOWZERS.

On that note.  Here are some pictures of the event all dressed up and maybe a video of airport fun.
Nose Record Holders

2 comments:

DRS said...

Wow - scary. Glad you caught that early. I hope it clears up soon.

radical kiba said...

You don't know me, but I heard about you from my sister. She's a climber as well and did her first big wall climb in Yosemite in the fall. She's always looked up to you, and she was really upset hearing about your accident. I decided to look you up myself, seeing as my sister is the strongest person I know, I wanted to see who she thought highly of.

Your complete honesty is nothing short of amazing. I think everything you are doing is incredibly brave, and I can't imagine how hard it must be to face every day like you have done. I intend to keep following you and seeing how you're doing, and I just want you to know you're in my thoughts. I hope you're feeling better than you have been, and I'm glad you caught the blood clot in time.

Post a Comment